Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a film of Quentin Tarantino. It weaves "multiple storylines in a tribute to the final moments of Hollywood's golden age."
In the movie, Leonardo DiCaprio's character name is Rick Dalton and is based on actor Burt Reynolds, similarly, Brad Pitt's character name is Cliff Booth and is based on stuntman and filmmaker Hal Needham.
For the other actors and their characters, they use the exact same name as the actor based on.
- Margot Robbie as Sharon Tate
- Damian Lewis as Steve McQueen
- Bruce Dern as George Spahn
- Emile Hirsch as Jay Sebring
- Luke Perry as Wayne Maunder
- Damon Herriman as Charles Manson
- Austin Butler as Charles "Tex" Watson
the list continues...
So why did they use fictional names for DiCaprio and Brad Pitt? or why didn't they use the same name as the actor based on?