In 2003's Cold Mountain, Brendan Gleeson plays Stobrod Thewes, the father of Ruby Thewes played by Renée Zellweger. His character is a traveling minstrel, and according to imdb, Gleeson is a fine fiddle player who plays the violin pieces himself. His bandmate in the movie is Georgia, played by Jack White of the White Stripes, who also performs several songs for the soundtrack. He first appears in somewhat near the end of the film.
Here is a still of Brendan Gleeson as Stobrod Thewes:
In a scene very near the beginning of the movie, a fiddlist plays a song called Bonaparte's Retreat for a dying Confederate soldier in a field hospital, and then a second more sweet song. According to this youtube the second song is either Great High Mountain or Am I Born to Die.
Here is a still of the field hospital fiddlist:
Is this other character also played by Brendan Gleeson or someone related to him? On the one hand,
- He kind of looks like Brendan Gleeson
- Brendan Gleeson is listed as having performed his violin piece Bonaparte's Retreat in the soundtrack credits on imdb
- I can't figure out what this character's name is, but there is a character named Pistol played by a Sean Gleeson according to the extended credits on imdb, so maybe it's not Brendan but a brother or something?
On the other hand,
- When you watch him more carefully, he is clearly not the same person. And the facial hair is definitely different, as is his Southern accent.
- The Sean Gleeson on imdb doesn't appear to be the character in question, nor any relation of Brandon Gleeson.
So what is that character's name, and which actor portrays him? Is it Brendan Gleeson? Or some relation of his?