In the Netflix movie How it Ends, we witness and hear eyewitness accounts of a variety of apocalyptic events:
- no internet or phone
- power goes out across the country
- frequent earthquakes for 6+ days
- strange weather conditions - heat, storms, lightning
- crashed airplanes
- fires and destruction in cities (Seattle in particular)
- the water leaves Puget Sound and returns as a tsunami (according to one Seattle resident)
- giant areas of rolling / expanding flame and smoke (seen at the end)
One character (the Seattle neighbor) gives an explanation of the events, but it doesn't quite fit what happens. He talks about an atomic bomb detonating in the Pacific Ocean. But in that case the water wouldn't have left Puget Sound, it would have either evaporated, showered over Seattle, or been pushed outward from ground zero and come up over Seattle as a giant wave, increasing the depth of Puget Sound.
Articles I've read online haven't explained the cause of the events.
Is there any official explanation from the crew or cast of the film as to what was going on?