I have watched most of the episodes of Friends and Joey always seems to be broke with Chandler helping him out.
Is there an exact amount or an approximation of how much Joey owes Chandler in the unlikely event that he ever decides to pay it back?
Based on a user over at Reddit, the amount comes upto $120,760
- We can calculate that Chandler's Manhattan rent was about $3,500 a month. (To compare, Monica's grandmother's apartment, rent-controlled since the '40s, could have been about $200.) Split two ways between Chandler and Joey for three years, as stated in the episode, the total is: $63,000
- We know utilities weren't included in their rent, so we'll follow user ASmileThatKills' lead and calculate Joey's half at $1,000.
Total so far: $64,000
Now for food. ASmileThatKills tries to guesstimate the amount Joey, known for his love of eating, spends on food every week—or rather the amount Chandler spends covering him. ASmileThatKills speculates the total is "$100 a week on groceries + $100 a week on pizza/takeout/coffee + $50 a week for Joey's dates, every week for 3 years." So that’s $5,200 annually for groceries.
Joey went on a lot of dates, and this is Manhattan. Let's bump it up to $75, so $3,900 yearly. And since we all saw how much coffee those poor kids drank, let’s tack an extra $15/week onto the takeout total, or $5,980. That brings the three-year total for food costs up to $45,240.
Total so far: $109,240
But wait, there's a lot more:
- Two sets of acting resume head shots, $500 each: $1,000
- Discounting inflation, Joey’s half of the phone and cable bills would have been around $35/month. Plus, if we assume that Chandler didn’t want to have to fight Joey for the phone when Joey was using their dial-up Internet, then they probably had another separate phone line for their computers, so an additional $10 for Joey: $1,620
- In season 4, episode 2, Joey is responsible for all of their apartment furniture getting stolen. Yikes! [...] ASmileThatKills estimates this total cost at roughly $5,500.
- In season 6, episode 18, Chandler mentions that Joey owes him $3,400.
The grand total: $120,760
But of course, this is all trivia and not the official amount disclosed.
And so as Joey says, "it's a MOO point" ;)