I think I saw the second half of this movie a couple of years ago (2010 or earlier) when it aired on TV on a Belgian channel. The movie was in color and couldn't have been that old.
What I think happened in the first part
- Because of something the earth is covered in dense clouds, the sun can't reach the surface any more and so the whole planet is frozen.
- The male protagonist joins/is forced to join (?) the military and has to leave his wife and daughter behind in his village.
- He meets the secondary main character, a woman.
Scenes I remember very clearly (not sure about the order)
- His unit gets back to the original village, he runs into his house and finds his wife and daughter laying in bed together, both died of the cold a while ago. He finds a letter from his wife saying "It's getting colder and colder, we stay close together to preserve the little heat out bodies still produce". The woman says "Aren't you happy you joined the military after all?" He replies: "No, I would much rather have stayed with my family".
- They save the day by going into some kind of control tower and enabling a satellite (?) that transmits the solar rays trough the clouds onto the earths surface, you can clearly see them on-screen.
- The movie was set in the present/near-future, there wasn't any tech that doesn't exist today, except for the solar-beaming satellite.
- The soldiers were wearing the typical white/grey uniforms you see in snowy areas, and were equipped with assault rifles with the same patttern.
- The movie was in English
I'm not sure if there was an antagonist or what actually caused the global frost.