After reading the wonderful story, I've decided to reach for the movie adaptation. To my surprise, there are at least FOUR adaptations based either on the short story or the book:
- "Charly" (1968) - won Oscar for best leading actor
- "Flowers for Algernon" (2000) - straight to DVD movie
- "Des fleurs pour Algernon" (2006)
- "Flowers for Algernon" (2015) - Japanese miniseries
I am not asking which version is the best, since this can be highly subjective, but which one is the closest to the original.
To precise what I'd consider a "faithfulness points":
- The story, besides the use of the "experimental surgery procedure" is not SF. I've noticed that few movies on IMDB are marked as Sci-Fi
- All the main plots from the book/story are in the adaptation (I've seen a theatrical version, where the romance plot and the mouse plot were omitted).
- The original story is provided in the form of a diary ("Resurhc prgress repot")