Reverend Lester Lowe is a werewolf that has been terrorizing the town of Tanker's Mill although it is unknown how he became a werewolf. However, Lester does not see his werewolf transformation as a curse but a bliss given to him by the almighty to punish people who are evil, immoral and corrupt. This is not to say he is above killing innocent people: he has killed innocents who were close to discovering his secret even though they committed no bad deeds.
The werewolf kills the following people:
- Arnie Westrum - An alcoholic railroad worker
- Stella Randolph - An unwed pregnant woman who was having an affair with a married man and had just taken sleeping pills to commit suicide
- Milt Sturmfuller - The abusive Father of Marty's girlfriend
- Andy Fairton - The leader of the group who went hunting the werewolf.
- Joe Haller - The sheriff who went to investigate Reverend Lowe
- Brady Kincaid - Marty's best friend
Reverend Lowe even tells Marty that he would never willingly hurt a child after he traps Marty. He is only pursuing Marty because Marty knows his true identity and injured him and has threatened him.
I'm very sorry about this, Marty. I don't know if you believe that or not, but it's true. I would never willingly hurt a child.
However, the werewolf killed Brady Kincaid fairly early in the film. Brady was still a child and posed no threat to the werewolf. Marty didn't discover the identity of the werewolf until after Brady was killed.
The werewolf/Reverend Lowe thinks of himself as somewhat of a vigilante, which does not make any sense why he killed Brady
Is it ever explained why the werewolf killed Brady Kincaid?