After watching this movie twice, I'm still unsure if the movie was trying to say, whether Tom loves Daisy or not.
There are several mentions that are in conflict.
- Tom was somewhere else when their daughter was born (Negative)
- He is mad at Myrtle and slaps her when she is shouting Daisy's name in the party (Positive)
- Tom dates Myrtle while claiming to love Daisy (Negative)
- Catherine mentions that none of them (Tom & Myrtle) can't stand their spouses (Negative)
- Tom starts to almost weep when Daisy said she never loved her (Positive)
- He is just watching when Jay is kissing her wife and wants to speak to her alone (Negative)
And so many more.
So, what was his position about Daisy? Did he really love her or was he just playing a role to keep her out of Gatsby's reach?