In this scene from Flags of Our Fathers, the top and bottom parts of the image are a little darker when compared to the middle portion of the scene. (I marked it with yellow lines)

enter image description here

What is the name of this effect?

  • That (New Mexican?) road looks rather modern. :-) Commented Mar 19, 2017 at 10:44

1 Answer 1


It's Vignetting


Later, the word came to be used for a photographic portrait which is clear in the center, and fades off at the edges. A similar effect occurs when photographing projected images or movies off a projection screen, resulting in a so-called "hotspot" effect.

Vignetting is often an unintended and undesired effect caused by camera settings or lens limitations. However, it is sometimes deliberately introduced for creative effect, such as to draw attention to the center of the frame. A photographer may deliberately choose a lens which is known to produce vignetting to obtain the effect, or it may be introduced with the use of special filters or post-processing procedures.


enter image description here

  • Though in this case it actually looks a bit like it was shot through a car window. It may not have been, and was just done this way to give that illusion. Commented Apr 20, 2017 at 19:31

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .