In the end, is Clay actually right about most of what he did, and he is the right leader that SOA MC Redwood Originals possibly could have ever got?
Clay is known to see through his decisions, that requires taking into context all of past, present and future. In that I believe he outweighs John, who could be seen as someone who is more brave.
Was he actually visualizing the future when he tries to kill John? Charming was surrounded geographically as below (as per my underrstanding)
- To one side there are the Mayans - Mexicans, drugs were known by then and were on the way up quite visibly
- To another side there is Niners. [Not to be racist], but we can assume they can be more violent and impulsive that others see as more dangerous?
- Chinese triads might be taking hold and probably it would have been visible to Clay already.
So Clay knows if there is any future to anyone at all, they need to defend themselves well. And if they need to win and thus control the future, the only way that can ever happen is if they control the defense? Ie the Guns. He (as well as GEMMA, strongly) loves Charming very much and so is forced to make that decision to run guns. Does Gemma also have some of his acumen and awareness and so supports him to protect her town rather than just her husband?
Lot of points seem to support it.
- He does'nt deal Drugs
- He does not deal porn and sees it as vulgar
- He only kills tactically ever
- His code of living
- He knows Big money corrupts and its dangers and is against it.