This question already has an answer here:

There is a camera technique which is fairly common now but was rather unusual and subtly effective when it was first used. Of course I don't know the name of it or how it is done (hence my question).

It is usually used with one or two persons in focus in the foreground against a fairly deep background. In the camera move, the background begins a zoom in, but the foreground figures maintain their relative positions within the frame. It has a subtle effect of intensifying a scene, roughly a visual equivalent of "turning up the volume".

I recall reading sometime ago that it involves shifting the picture plane of the camera while at the same time maintaining focus on the foreground but I am likely misremembering or didn't completely understand it. There is no CGI or anything like that involved – it is purely mechanical and optical.

Anyone know what this technique is called, how it is done, who invented or popularized it and also I guess, if it can be achieved with the digital cameras now in wide use?

merged by Napoleon Wilson Jan 27 '16 at 9:42

This question was merged with Zoom actor in while background out? How is this effect called and made? because it is an exact duplicate of that question.

Browse other questions tagged .