My question is related to the following technique:

How do they mix real characters with animated characters?

Except that instead of having a real Dick Van Dyke during all the scene, an animated Dick Van Dyke is superimposed and replaces the real one. Same with the wooden gate: a real one with lots of details and color shades is replaced by an extremely simplified gate with minimum shades and traces, while keeping the resemblance to the real thing.

I need to hire a professional animator to do something like that, but I do not even know the name of the technique. It is often used in TV commercials.


1 Answer 1


This is called rotoscoping. It's a technique where film is 'traced' for animation.


  • Do you know what software can be used for rotoscoping? Commented Sep 29, 2015 at 1:15
  • 2
    @TravisBanger google 'rotoscoping software.' But note that it's not just a simple software filter. It typically involves a lot of hand work.
    – DA.
    Commented Sep 29, 2015 at 1:18
  • 1
    A lot of people just use Flash...
    – Catija
    Commented Sep 29, 2015 at 1:25

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .