Do film experts, critics, industry insiders, etc recognise and discuss signature styles or elements between major Hollywood studios? Along the lines of...
- "This is a very typical Universal film, in that..."
- "This screenplay seems to me better suited to 20th Century Fox than Warner Bros, because..."
- "This film was unusually [x] for a Paramount film, as it..."
...pointing to specific 'signature' details in style, pacing, tone, plot, filmography, commercial risk taking, innovation, elements prioritised, etc? Similar to how there are, for example:
- characteristic differences between Pixar and Dreamworks - critics identify these and discuss trends like, for example, to what extent these differences are diminishing and blurring
- characteristics associated with HBO drama series - and critics discuss things like how the HBO approach to drama has influenced trends more widely
- typical features of a "Hollywood film" and different eras of "Hollywood film", etc etc
I understand that individual directors (and/or producers) definitely have clear reputations and signature styles, and that most directors and producers work across studios, but in addition to this, do studios themselves earn particular reputations?
If they do exist, I'm not asking for a complete list, that'd be too broad, just a "Yes, for example... [here's an analysis of why X director favours the approach taken by Y studio]", or a "No, because... [they all follow the same trends based on the same viewing data, see this analysis]...".
Short-lived historical differences are relevant too, e.g. if a particular studio pioneered X genre or Y style, but it was then adopted by all the others. My suspicion is that trends get copied so quickly it's hard for any one studio to carve out a niche that lasts longer than a couple of years - but I'm at a loss as to how to find examples confirming or disproving this.
I'm asking because this has bugged me ever since I visited some film studios in Los Angeles and realised that I'd never once paid attention to which studio made what film. I was surprised to realise that I had no idea at all which films were made by which studios. I've tried researching this but found nothing, the only clear trends between studios I can see seem to be around who has the money.