Like in the movie The World's End, there were some people sitting in the shape of a circle then the movie's name is shown gradually, the O letter is similar to the circle made by the people.

I see similar effects in a lot of other works so I was just wondering if this has a name.

1 Answer 1


After some searching, I found out it's a type of film transition called Graphic Match Cut. From Wikipedia:

The cut joins together two pieces of film that contain two similarly shaped objects in similar positions in the frame. One of the most famous examples of this is the edit in Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey where the bone thrown by a gorilla (man in gorilla costume) cuts to a space station.

And this is the video on youtube (Note:Lower your volume!)

  • Your video is dead.
    – Laurel
    Jun 2, 2019 at 3:18

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .