Set in the arctic / Antarctic with several different huts and a team of scientists. Slowly they get struck down by a mystery virus which turns them into monsters who's tongues shoot out even when their heads are cut off. This enables them to drag them across the floor. I saw this on TV about 25 years ago and would love to know what its called please.

closed as off-topic by JNat Jan 19 '18 at 12:20

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Identification questions are off-topic, because they tend to attract low-quality and low-effort posts. The community has decided to no longer support these questions. Please refer to this meta post for additional details." – JNat
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

locked by Shog9 Jan 19 '18 at 21:50

This question exists because it has historical significance, but it is not considered a good, on-topic question for this site so please do not use it as evidence that you can ask similar questions here. This question and its answers are frozen and cannot be changed. See the help center for guidance on writing a good question.

Read more about locked posts here.

  • 1
    Do you mean the horror classic The Thing? – Walt Oct 6 '14 at 19:16
  • Thanks Will / Walt, that's exactly the movie. Watching that clip on YouTube was still as scary today as it was back then. Now all I need to do is tell my son about it ! Thanks again. – martin Oct 7 '14 at 9:03

That sounds like John Carpenter's remake of The Thing, (1982).

Scientists in the Antarctic are confronted by a shape-shifting alien that assumes the appearance of the people that it kills.

There is a scene like you describe, with a severed head pulling itself along the floor with a long prehensile tongue. You can watch that clip here.

  • Greatest movie clip ever. – PoloHoleSet Nov 17 '16 at 19:50

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .