For a movie like "Captain America: The First Avenger", what is the term for the phrase after the colon, i.e. "The First Avenger"? Is that called a "subtitle" or something else?


According to both Wikipedia and Websters, "subtitle" is used for both the phrase after the colon, and the text which appears at the bottom of a movie that is in a foreign language. So, your assumption is correct.

Thanks to Sonny Burnett for pointing that out.

| improve this answer | |
  • Yet, Wikipedia has it without the hyphen for both usages. Is this an AE/BE thing? – Napoleon Wilson Aug 14 '14 at 13:02
  • Hmm... Even Websters has it without the hyphen. I've always seen it with the hyphen to designate the difference. Interesting... – Johnny Bones Aug 14 '14 at 13:09
  • > In the United States and Canada, however, these terms do have different meanings. "Subtitles" assume the viewer can hear but cannot understand the language or accent, or the speech is not entirely clear, so they transcribe only dialogue and some on-screen text. ... The United Kingdom, Ireland, and most other countries do not distinguish between subtitles and closed captions, and use "subtitles" as the general term. The equivalent of "captioning" is usually referred to as "subtitles for the hard of hearing". –Closed captioning, Wiki – Mazura Jul 11 '16 at 4:59
  • The important part would be to pluralize subtitle. A movie that has a subtitle, may also have subtitles. – Mazura Jul 11 '16 at 5:00

It is called as Caption. Which represents the story of movie or differentiates the movie from same series of movies

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    Can you provide a source for this? – Rand al'Thor Jul 10 '16 at 22:09

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .