In the movie snatch (among others) the characters are introduced via a mono coloured freeze frame with the name of the character next to it. An example of this can be found in this video at the 1:22 minute mark.

What is this technique called?

  • 1
    Never heard of a term for that, personally. But will happily be schooled if there is. ;)
    – Walt
    May 23, 2014 at 22:19
  • I saw the name the other day for the "technique" but can't find the link. Here is a link to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, where Guy Richie definitely had inspiration from (or the person creating the title sequence, if he didn't request that effect). The article or comment I was reading pointed the person asking about Snatch to that movie intro sequence, and I ended up watching the whole movie.
    – Eli Bishop
    Aug 19, 2014 at 3:20

1 Answer 1


It's simply called the freeze-frame shot. It's employed for all manner of purposes, including introducing characters.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .