Master Shifu is a supporting character in the Kung Fu Panda (franchise). But seeing as to how his name is something of a tautonym (shifu means master in Mandarin), what is used for his name in the Chinese dub?


As a Chinese American, I can say that I've seen the movies over in China. Usually, "big hit" (I'm using quotes because not all movies played in China are worth watching if you lived in the United States, ergo, not all movies here are played in China) American movies with an Asian theme, but without actual Chinese spoken, will be played in English, with Chinese subtitles (even American films with some Chinese spoken will be played in English; only full Chinese films are played in full Chinese audio) The reasoning behind using English is because people typically don't watch movies in China (it's very expensive, and most people are still struggling to make a living).


Most probably Sifu because their meaning is same.

Sifu (Cantonese Chinese) or shifu (Mandarin Chinese) (or shih-fu) is the identical pronunciation of two Chinese terms for a master. - (Source - Wikipedia)

But in Dustin Hoffman's Chinese Wikipedia page, he is listed as 师傅 (Master).

  • I can understand if the dub uses just Shifu rather than Master Shifu. But Master Shifu sounds unlikely to me. How about all the other masters? – coleopterist Dec 2 '13 at 13:06
  • @coleopterist ... Maybe he's the master of masters? – Pᴀᴜʟsᴛᴇʀ2 Dec 2 '13 at 13:23
  • If you copy/paste "师傅" from that page (written right above "Master Shifu") using Google translate, you get just "Master". – Vedran Šego Jan 1 '14 at 14:30
  • @VedranŠego correction done. – Ankit Sharma Jan 1 '14 at 15:15
  • @AnkitSharma you're simplifying the Chinese language too much. There's also Simplified and Traditional Chinese. And also, Cantonese Chinese is used primarily in Hong Kong, so I don't know why you're assuming that its pronunciation of "Master" will be used in Chinese films. – ragingasiancoder Jul 27 '16 at 13:36

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .