Episode 3.06 (A Gun For Hire) of the Star Wars TV series, The Mandalorian is chucked full of references and callbacks, mostly to previous Star Wars content & The Mandalorian itself, but there were other aspects of the episode reminded me very much of The Wizard of Oz.
- The greenery color schemes of both interior and exterior locations are in line with "Emerald City".
- The dignitaries/nobles/staff reminiscent of the hierarchy of Emerald City citizens.
- Captain Bombardier's aesthetic/hair has "curled" flourishes, like that of members of The Lollipop Guild (and some aspects of the characters or characterization felt very "pop" and/or like, 'horses of the different colors' with unique novelties).
- Grogu behaved/treated like more of a "pet" similar to Toto, Dorothy's dog companion.
- The Commissioner felt very much like The Wizard himself :aka The Man Behind the Curtain (and there could still be some other kind of potential fallout from the events, making him more of a fraud).
So my question is, were these things an intentional reference to The Wizard of Oz? I'm looking for a confirmation from EPs, director, writers, or cast members.
I would also be interested in any additional meaning for including this reference within this episode/season, but do realize, we may not know until the season is over.