At the end of The Mask Dorian gets flushed down a toilet that the Mask just conjured up by painting a flushing handle on a wall nearby. I never quite got what is supposed to have happened with him. Was he just flushed out of the building and thrown out somewhere? Did he drown? I don't think he was shown in the later scene where all his people were getting arrested. So what ended up happening to Dorian?
It's not clear, but we can discern some good ideas.
It's appears (at least to me) that the Mask affects the world in real ways:
- When the bank was robbed, it really had a lot of money missing from its safe.
- When the crooked mechanics were punished, they really were impaled on muffler pipes -- but not killed.
So something unpleasant really happened to Dorian. But what? Another factor to consider is that the Mask appears to amplify the personality of the wearer. When Dorian wore it, murder and terror followed. But Stanley is a hopeless romantic with a massive streak of ironic humor. When he was confronted with force while wearing the Mask, at another time in the movie, he danced with them -- without hurting anybody. So some thoughts on Dorian's disposition:
- He did not die.
- He is no longer able to hurt anyone at the moment.
- As Stanley knows enough about Dorian's nature, I would posit that Dorian is no longer able to hurt anyone in the future.
- Stanley knows Dorian is a career criminal. So where would an ironically humorous hopeless romantic send a career criminal? My answer would be a chain gang of some sort.
My guess, which is only as good (or bad) as anyone else's, is that Dorian was flushed to a place where he is in chains. He is somewhere unpleasant like a Russian Gulag.
Alive and in a prison of sorts; And in a position to not hurt anyone now or in the future.