I watched the first episode of The Queen's Gambit on Netflix today. I watched it in English but as it's not my mother tongue I did not understand what are the green pills Beth Harmon takes when she's around 9 years old.
What I understand is:
- Beth's supposed to take them once a day but one of her friends suggests to take them before to sleep, which she does and she even saves them to take them several in one taking. She likes what the pills do and they help her playing chess without a chessboard.
- She's also supposed to take a green and a red one, but the red one doesn't seem so important.
- I also understood she became addicted to them.
- At the beginning, we are told they are for their "dispositions" but I don't know what that is nor how it translates into French.
- Close to the end of the episode, we learn it is called tranquilizers and is banned from the orphanage while it was previously called "vitamins" by the young girls.
- Finally, the very beginning scene shows Beth, older and before a chess game, quite late and taking those pills.
With all this in mind, I still have no idea what they are. Can you help?