I noticed that many recent TV shows have a color grading technique with bright candy-colors that pop out. For example, all of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, some of Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams (e.g. "Crazy Diamond"), or The Good Place. (Sample images linked.)

I don't remember seeing such color technique before about 5 years ago.

Is there a name for this technique? Or is this just a mis-setting on the screen I am using?

I'll appreciate link to articles that discuss this. I have found articles that discuss a specific show, for example about the color palette in Mrs. Maisel, but none that discuss this as a phenomenon.

  • 1
    I have to say that Bryan Fuller's Pushing Daisy's comes to mind also and might be an earlier place to see where this bright "pop" aesthetic may have started as a trend. I don't remember who is the photographer/cinematographer on that series, but that may worth a look, which I will do when I get some time. Jun 12, 2020 at 14:05
  • Do you have any stills or screenshots showing this effect? Jul 26, 2020 at 5:11
  • I added links to sample images.
    – Joshua Fox
    Jul 26, 2020 at 9:34
  • Why would this be a "phenomenon" when it is only used in a handful of shows? Considering that there are about 400 series produced each year in the US alone, we're talking about 1%.
    – BCdotWEB
    Jul 26, 2020 at 15:25
  • I don't have any precise data, but of the shows I watched, a good fraction seem to have this style. I do not recall seeing this style at all before a few years ago.
    – Joshua Fox
    Jul 26, 2020 at 17:52

1 Answer 1


The technique of manipulating color is part of a process which is called "color grading".

I am not aware of a special name for this particular look. It's normal to see certain styles more often within a time period as film makers get inspired by other peoples' work. It's a trend, that probably subsides one day or shifts in another direction. However, it might also be influenced by increased mobile device streaming: If you're outside in bright sunlight you will benefit from poppy colors.

  • Thank you. So, that is the question: Does this look have a name, or even if not, where can I read about it? I supposed that everything has a name, or at least is discussed, by professionals in the field.
    – Joshua Fox
    Jun 12, 2020 at 7:28
  • Thank you for the term "color grading." I have added it to the question
    – Joshua Fox
    Jun 12, 2020 at 12:43

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .