In the climax of the poker game, James bets all his money - $40.5 million. In response, Le Chiffre somewhat nervously counters with an all-in of his own - but a substantially higher call. Since Le Chiffre has been bleeding the rest of the table dry all night, he has Bond's amount covered. It's impressive that Bond wins the hand, but why does that immediately end the game?
If I'm not mistaken, this is the sequence of events:
- Player 1 bets $5M; pot size is $5M
- Player 2 bets $6M; pot size is $11M
- Le Chiffre bets $12M; pot size is $23M
- Bond bets $40.5M; pot size is $63.5M
- Le Chiffre goes all in; pot size is $115M
This implies Le Chiffre still had Bond covered with $11M left over for himself. The game shouldn't have been over. Bond would clearly be hugely advantaged at that point, with $104M to $11M, but Le Chiffre shouldn't have been eliminated immediately, right?