Is there a term for when a movie intentionally includes a bit of a sound track from another movie solely as a tribute to the original movie?

  • 5
    a homage? google.com/…
    – DForck42
    Mar 12, 2013 at 18:45
  • 3
    @DForck42 An homage?
    – user209
    Mar 12, 2013 at 19:16
  • 3
    @M6rk not only would the question be much better with an example, it would also make answering it much easier.
    – stevvve
    Mar 12, 2013 at 19:21
  • 2
    @keen :-P was thinking H, not O.
    – DForck42
    Mar 12, 2013 at 20:32
  • 2
    @DForck42 Sacre bleu!
    – user209
    Mar 12, 2013 at 21:05

1 Answer 1


Such a gesture could be called a homage or a shout-out depending, as TV Tropes notes, on how elaborate it is:

Homage (literally, an honor or tribute) is the deliberate, but respectful, recreation of one work of fiction within the context of another. Usually this is done for comedic effect, but occasionally it is serious. Sometimes it's both. A Homage is an extended sequence, significantly more than a simple Shout Out, but does not actually constitute a Cross Over ...

I'm unaware of anything used specifically for homages involving soundtracks in films. Besides tribute and the above-mentioned terms, I've also come hat-tip or tipping one's hat used with similar connotations.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .