What kind of company is Initech in the movie Office Space?
There are a few important things we know about Initech that the movie plot hinged on. Are there any real-life companies that actually fit this criteria?
- Initech hires computer programmers that "update bank software for the 2000 switch"
- Initech has access to "the credit union software"
- Initech has access to "the credit union mainframe"
- Initech's accounting department notices when the money goes missing
- Initech has a "Corporate Accounts Payable" department (although at least one transcriber disagrees with me and thinks it's "Corporate Councils Payroll")
- Initech has a "Logistics" department
- Initech has engineers who lack people skills sufficient to interface directly with their customers.
Items 1,2,7 make Initech sound like a software development house that contracts with financial institutions. Item 3 additionally makes Initech sound like a company that contracts with financial institutions for server and software maintenance.
Item 4 makes Initech sound like the actual financial institution.
Item 5 sounds more like a consulting firm, as I think "accounts payable" is more likely simply called "loans"; but an actual banker could probably clear this up.
Item 6 could probably be either a bank or a consulting firm.
I would think maybe Initech is simply a subsidiary of a large financial corporation, that does in-house IT consulting and programming for the parent company. But item 7 doesn't fit with this theory, as then there wouldn't be any real "customers" (in a traditional sense).
So... What kind of company is Initech? :)