Movies & TV Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for movie and tv enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

On the show Metalocalypse the band Dethklok usually wears a specific make-up style when performing their shows. It appears as white skin tones with blacked out eyes and ash around the eye black. Is there a name for this style of make-up? It seems similar to other real bands like Cradle of Filth but not quite as influenced by the band Kiss

share|improve this question
Knowing that the show is about an over-the-top Death Metal band, I can understand the question but is there a way you can word it to make it less trivia-like and more about the reason for the make-up and what it is lampooning? – TylerShads Aug 11 '12 at 15:32
The reason they wear it is the same that any band adds theatricality to their stage performances, to add something to draw the fans. That's not what I'm asking, I just want to know if there is a name for that style of make up, either general or specific (preferably specific) – Monty129 Aug 11 '12 at 15:41
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Initial searching almost had me convinced there was not a name for it, but alas, it is called corpse paint or corpsepaint. From wikipedia:

Corpse paint or corpsepaint is a style of black-and-white makeup, used mainly by black metal bands during live concerts and photo shoots. The makeup is used to intensify the bands' imagery of evil, inhumanity, and corpse-like decay. It is most commonly worn just on the face, but in some rare occasions is also applied on arms and torso and in even rarer occasions, some musicians use other colors than just black and white.

If you do a google image search for corpsepaint you get lots and lots of examples! Here is Brendon Small, the creator of Metalocalypse who occasionally tours as Dethklok, in corpsepaint:

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.