I'm looking for the title of a movie I've seen in the 80s or early 90s. But all I remember of it are the following sequences:
- There was some sort of laser beam or beacon at night.
- A man and a colleague are investigating something.
- They are at the man's house where there is also his wife and child.
- There was a van in the movie.
- The man and some colleague were on a stakeout in the van.
- The man gets killed by some bad guys.
- I'm not sure but I think the bad guys get into the man's house and he manages to hide his wife and child somewhere in the house.
- Later on, the wife and the child are seen on a lawn in a park.
- The wife plays some audio tape, expecting music on it, but then there is some recording made by the late husband.
That's about it. Those are the only fragments I remember. I've googled for all the keywords mentioned above but wasn't able to figure out the movie's title. I assume it was a US movie.