This is one of the last things from my childhood that I haven't managed to determine the existence of. It may be an amalgamation of memories from different shows, and it's possible that some of them are purely from my imagination. That said:
I would like to identify a work that meets the following criteria:
- Live action
- It played on TV, or was available on VHS, between 1984 and 1990
- The villain is the bogey man / boogie man / similar
- The protagonist(s) are a child or children (I think it was a boy and girl?)
- It included a father figure who did not believe in the threat of the bogey man
- My strongest memory: at one point, that father figure is levitated and spinning in the air, saying something like "boogey boogey boogey! ...just kidding," which is probably a repetition of an earlier line teasing the protagonists
- The bogey man was defeated by destroying a statue somehow bound to him. That statue may have only been accessible by entering some other realm/dimension, which may have been accessed through a closet?
- I think the haunting had something to do with a specific house?