I'm looking for the name of a movie or 2-part miniseries with the following plot ingredients:
- white boy is found by an African tribe (with red clothes) (pretty sure)
- I'm uncertain whether the mother was killed or the boy was abandoned as a kid
- boy grows up but during some fight with local kids is left for dead on the savannah (pretty sure)
- boy kills leopard and wears skin (pretty sure)
- boy is adopted by another tribe (with blue clothes)
- there is a scene were the boy has to grab a snake from a basket as an acceptance test by the new tribe (pretty sure)
- new tribe and old tribe go to war (somewhat sure)
I saw this movie in the early 80s (definitely pre-1986) on Dutch TV, but I'm guessing it could have been made as early as the early 70s. Pretty sure it was not Dutch language, though I can't remember any dialogue. My guess is that it's a South African production.
After doing some more research, it seems that the movie I'm looking for is a cross between Shaka Zulu (which I didn't see until many years after it came out), The John Ross Story: An African Adventure (came out in 1987, never seen, 13-part series) and Sheena (which I haven't seen).