Movies & TV Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for movie and tv enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I believe the initial scene of Eyes Wide Shut is an example for this. I am sure I've heard a fancy term for the use of a piece of soundtrack that turns out to be heard within the film itself. How is that called?

share|improve this question
Do you mean diegetic sound\music? – Walt May 13 '14 at 20:17
That scene goes from non-diegetic to diegetic. Is there a sound editing term for that? – CGCampbell May 13 '14 at 20:34
up vote 9 down vote accepted

According to TV Tropes, what you're looking for is called diegetic music, or more colloquially Source Music. Switching back and forth in a single scene is simply a "diegetic switch".

TVTropes has other terms for various incarnations of this, some of which are probably "official" and others probably invented by the site's community, e.g.:

  • 'Interscene diegetic': when the same song plays continuously, in-universe, across multiple scenes.
  • "Left the Background Music On": a specific diegetic switch where the music starts out as background music, until one of the characters "notices" it and it becomes diegetic.
  • "Theme Tune Cameo": (the other answer that gave this seems to have vanished) a specific form of diegetic music where it's the main title theme that later appears in-scene somewhere.
share|improve this answer
This fits some Movies, but falls before the scope of others: The Long Goodbye, for one, uses it's 'Theme song' both diegetically and non. – John Smith Optional May 13 '14 at 20:59

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.