I'm trying to remember a movie from Germany. The plot was something like this:
- Young girl lives with her parents in a poor country (I think it was Romania)
- Father is abusive
- One night, mother and daughter try to get away with the family's horse-drawn carriage
- Father finds them and beats mother to death in anger
- The daughter has to watch the scene and gets mute due to the shock
- Later in the movie a German buys the daughter
- She starts to paint but still doesn't speak
- She instead always writes letters and gives them to the postman
- German man thinks at first she has an affair with the postman but learns that she is writing letters to her dead mother and the postman brings them to her grave (what is some kind of underground cave with many pictures of the mother and candles and stuff)
I can't remember much from the ending but I think the man buys a house with an artist's workshop for the girl and one day she falls in love with him and starts to talk again.
Does anyone know a movie like this?
Edit: I just remembered the end! They want to marry but then discover that the girl has terminal cancer. She dies of a brain tumor right before the wedding.