Around five years ago I saw a pretty average post-apocalyptic, non-English (I think), movie with one of the most depressing endings I've seen.
But I can't remember the name and Google is failing me, so I'm trying my luck here.
I think it must be from late 1990's or early 2000.
Things I do remember from the movie:
- main character is male, possibly a bit slow in the head.
- it's set in a desert setting
- people are fighting over water, food and fuel
- female lead is a prostitute that joins the male lead
- male lead has or gets a dog companion
- they set out to search for some fabled Utopia where they still have power
- the ending is really depressing because:
- the female lead gets killed (and possibly raped) by some guy offering food and fuel near the end
- the male lead runs out of fuel and is forced to kill and eat his dog
- the male lead finds the city, but is shot (either by an automated turret or a sniper)
Hope someone knows which movie this is, because the end makes it worth sitting through it.