Movies & TV Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for movie and tv enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Some square like symbols similar to the ones discussed in this question:

example of 5.1 surround sound image

These appear on the back of physical media, for example DVDs, with various number of little solid squares indicating how many channels of audio are included.

Any hints on what they are called? googling "movie, symbol, subtitle, dolby" etc. brings up completly irrelevant results.

share|improve this question
up vote 9 down vote accepted

You are referring to the sound mode icon.

An example:

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.