Movies & TV Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for movie and tv enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I was watching Pacific Rim Special Features disc last night. In one brief production scene, I saw a half moon shaped object which was chrome or mirror like. In another movie special features, I saw the same thing. It looked as though it was in the shape of a dumb bell, only with a thin rod between two half spheres. Just curious if someone could explain what this is and how it is used in production?

share|improve this question
If you have the disc, could you grab a screenshot? – coleopterist Oct 20 '13 at 5:09
Yes, a picture of the offending object would be most helpful – user7812 May 24 '14 at 13:24
up vote 5 down vote accepted

I believe you are referring to a chrome/gray ball rig.

This is photographed on set and then utilized by vfx look development and lighting departments in order to help facilitate the digital recreation of the lighting that was used on set. This is one step/tool used in an often complex process.

I'm a vfx lighting td I just assumed that's what you're referring to. Much like a hammer assumes everything is a nail :)

share|improve this answer
While this is not exactly what the tool I was seeing looks like, I'd have to assume it serves the same purpose. Thanks for the answer. – Pᴀᴜʟsᴛᴇʀ2 Jun 23 '14 at 10:17

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.