Movies & TV Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for movie and tv enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Mostly in the cartoons and in some TV series or movies sometimes the screen turned black mid-between a sudden surprise scene, which impacts great to maintaining goosebumps. The last i noticed this is in the Under the Dome. Is there a specific term or name for it?

share|improve this question
It may also be that the U.S. use more frequent (but shorter) commercial breaks and thus what you are experiencing might have originally been a fade out for a commercial (at a very exciting part, to keep the audience hooked, of course) that was removed in your version. – Napoleon Wilson Oct 11 '13 at 9:37
@ChristianRau it appears intentional to me and specially seen in various American cartoons and non American too but some American cartoons doesn't have this blackout at all. I might required few more example i think. – Ankit Sharma Oct 11 '13 at 9:39
I noticed that in the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles series (at least in Germany). But I always thought it should "resuce" or calm down the kids so that they are not too scared in thrilling scenes. – unor Oct 12 '13 at 17:46
@AnkitSharma Is it a cut that occurred for a commercial break when it was originally broadcast (that never happens because you're watching it on Netflix or DVD)? – Ben Plont Oct 18 '13 at 21:39
@BenPlont i am watching it one broadcasting channels BIG CBS network. – Ankit Sharma Oct 19 '13 at 7:07
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Sorry to disappoint, but it's just called "cut to black" (as opposed to the more traditional "fade to black"). Sometimes things are called exactly what you'd expect.

If a screenwriter wanted to emphasize that the picture is to remain black for awhile, usually the script would describe something audio-only, e.g.:

Looking down into the grave, we see the coffin lid close over our very-much-alive hero.

                                                                                   CUT TO:

Heavy breathing. Scratching sounds. . . .

And then in editing usually the big suspenseful music cues are added.

share|improve this answer

You're probably thinking of a Smash Cut. In effect, this is a 'cut' (the same as if you were watching a film and the film goes from one scene to another), but is much more abrupt.

share|improve this answer
+1 for the response but from wiki description Smash Cut is like switching of scene unexpectedly but i am referring to blackout between same scene like a pause with black screen. – Ankit Sharma Oct 11 '13 at 7:36
I'm not sure there is a name for that sort of thing - I think it's just something that directors or screenwriters add by themselves. I recall a film Zero Effect where the some scenes kind of faded to black/white, then back a second later as if it were a cut - which, I suppose, it technically was... – Barry Hammer Oct 11 '13 at 11:49

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.