Take the 2-minute tour ×
Movies & TV Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for movie and tv enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This question already has an answer here:

In movies, there are certain types of scenes where an actor/actress is standing facing the camera, in a hallway for example, and the hallway (or environment) is extruded or seems to get longer.

I want to use LOTR as an example, when Frodo, Sam and the other two just got finished running from the farmer and they landed on the road. Frodo got spooked and when he looked down the road, it seemed to grow longer. He yelled at them and they hid under the tree.

What is the name of this effect?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by iandotkelly Apr 2 '13 at 3:38

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

It's called a Dolly zoom/Hitchcock zoom/Vertigo effect. It's accomplished by zooming while moving the camera towards/away from the actor.

The dolly zoom is commonly used by filmmakers to represent the sensation of vertigo, a "falling-away-from-oneself feeling" or a feeling of unreality, or to suggest that a character is undergoing a realization that causes him or her to reassess everything he or she had previously believed. After Hitchcock popularized the effect (he used it again for a climactic revelation in Marnie), the technique was used by many other filmmakers, and eventually became regarded as a gimmick or cliché. This was especially true after director Steven Spielberg repopularized the effect in his highly regarded film Jaws, in a memorable shot of a dolly zoom into Police Chief Brody's (Roy Scheider) stunned reaction at the climax of a shark attack on a beach (after a suspenseful build-up).

share|improve this answer
Yep, that's what I was looking for. –  DustinDavis Apr 1 '13 at 20:07

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.