While changes as a TV series progresses in normal, there seems to have been an inordinate amount of change between Red Dwarf's season 2 and 3. To list a few:
- The title sequence changed from the 2001-esque sequence to a more generic sitcomish sequence (boo!)
- The whole plotline with the alternate universe pregnancy was completely dropped and hand waved away.
- Kryten becomes a regular cast member.
- Holly undergoes a sex change.
- A new Red Dwarf logo is introduced.
- Much higher production values overall.
So what happened in between seasons 2 & 3 that sparked so much change? Getting a higher budget due to success explains some of it, but not all.