Movies & TV Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for movie and tv enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a term for when a movie intentionally includes a bit of a sound track from another movie solely as a tribute to the original movie?

share|improve this question
a homage?… – DForck42 Mar 12 '13 at 18:45
@DForck42 An homage? – user209 Mar 12 '13 at 19:16
@M6rk not only would the question be much better with an example, it would also make answering it much easier. – stevvve Mar 12 '13 at 19:21
@keen :-P was thinking H, not O. – DForck42 Mar 12 '13 at 20:32
+1s for everybody! – Nobby Mar 12 '13 at 22:00

Such a gesture could be called a homage or a shout-out depending, as TV Tropes notes, on how elaborate it is:

Homage (literally, an honor or tribute) is the deliberate, but respectful, recreation of one work of fiction within the context of another. Usually this is done for comedic effect, but occasionally it is serious. Sometimes it's both. A Homage is an extended sequence, significantly more than a simple Shout Out, but does not actually constitute a Cross Over ...

I'm unaware of anything used specifically for homages involving soundtracks in films. Besides tribute and the above-mentioned terms, I've also come hat-tip or tipping one's hat used with similar connotations.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.