What topics can I ask about here?
Movies & TV Stack Exchange is for Movie & TV enthusiasts and experts alike!
If your question generally covers...
- Analysis of content or theme of all forms of Movies and TV series
- Identifying a Movie or TV series (see below for details)
- Questions about a Movie or TV show's production.
- The works of a director / an actor / a writer related to Movies & TV
Our on topic content also includes Made-For-TV movies, Web-series, Direct-to-DVD, and Mini-Series.
Please note that the following subjects are considered off-topic here:
- Locating or purchasing Movies or TV content
- Technology questions about playing content
- Unimportant trivia that does not add to the understanding or appreciation of the title.
- TV news, sports and current affairs
- A title's release date or rumors about a specific title or series.
- Opinions about or recommendations for a movie or TV show
If your question is not specifically on-topic for Movies & TV Stack Exchange, it may be on topic for another Stack Exchange site. If no site currently exists that will accept your question, you may commit to or propose a new site at Area 51, the place where new Stack Exchange communities are democratically created.
For more help, see "What types of questions should I avoid asking?"
Please note that spoilers are allowed here and may be out in the open. Read at your own risk.
The use of spoiler markup should be kept to a minimum, or not used at all if it is clear what Movie or TV Show is being discussed in the question. Use common sense and apply spoiler markup to cover only aspects of your post that you would think might be unexpected, such as references to other movies.
Spoiler tags will be deleted from questions as nearly every question reveals details about a movie or TV show.
While we encourage you to be aware of spoilers in our questions, we make every effort to remove spoilers from Question Titles which is one part of the site that does not have mark-up capabilities and is out in the open. Also, please refer to this meta post on how to keep specific tags from your view.
Identification questions are currently on-topic for this site with the exception of commercials and music videos. Please try to show effort and give as much detail as possible:
- Plot details of any scenes you remember
- Descriptions of any characters or locations
- Where you watched the movie or TV show
- When you watched the movie or TV show
- Any idea of how old it was
- Any idea of country of origin (if known)
- Whether it was animated or not
- Any other distinctive detail
Also try to give the question a meaningful title that already includes key identifying details (e.g. description of a character, setting or plot) and avoid generic titles like "name of horror movie". See this question to get a feel of what we expect from a well rounded Identify-This-* question.
Identification questions are of limited use to other users of the site, and are asking people to spend some time identifying the Movie or TV show, so it is the responsibility of the person asking the question to try to answer clarifications within a reasonable amount of time, certainly within a day or so. Identification questions that stay inactive for 30 days and without any upvoted or accepted answer are liable to be deleted. Questions lacking in research, i.e. being easily answered from an actor's name on IMDB or Wikipedia, might get closed.