What topics can I ask about here?
Movies & TV Stack Exchange is for Movie & TV enthusiasts and experts alike!
If your question generally covers …
- Analysis of content or theme of all forms of Movies/TV
- Identifying a Movie or TV series (see below for details)
- Questions about a Movie/TV show's production.
- The works of a director / an actor / a writer related to Movies/TV
Movies also includes Made-For-TV movies, Direct-to-DVD, and Mini-Series.
Please note that the following subjects are considered off-topic here:
- Movie/TV purchasing/viewing locations
- The operation of playing a movie whether it be digital or physical format.
- Unimportant trivia that does not add to the understanding or appreciation of the title.
- TV news and current affairs
- A title's release date or rumors about a specific title or series.
- Opinions about or recommendations for a movie or TV show
Please note that spoilers are allowed here and may be out in the open. Read at your own risk.
The use of spoiler markup should be kept to a minimum, or not used at all if it is clear what Movie or TV Show is being discussed in the question. Use common sense and apply spoiler markup to cover only aspects of your post that you would think might be unexpected, such as references to other movies.
Spoiler tags will be deleted from questions as nearly every question reveals details about a movie or TV show.
While we encourage you to be aware of spoilers in our questions, we make every effort to remove spoilers from Question Titles which is one part of the site that does not have mark-up capabilities and is out in the open. Also, please refer to this meta post on how to keep specific tags from your view.
Identification questions are currently on-topic for this site. Please try to give as much detail as possible:
- Where you watched the movie or TV show
- When you watched the movie or TV show
- Any idea of how old it was
- Any idea of country of origin (if known)
- Whether it was animated or not
- Any distinctive detail
See this question to get a feel of what we expect from a well rounded Identify-This-* question.
Identify-This questions are of limited use to other users of the site, and are asking people to spend some time identifying the Movie or TV show, so it is the responsibility of the person asking the question to try to answer clarifications within a reasonable amount of time, certainly within a day or so.
Identify-This questions may be deleted if it is considered that they are unanswerable and the person asking is not answering clarification comments. Questions from unregistered users unanswered after 2 weeks are liable to be deleted. Questions lacking in research, i.e. if a question is easily answered from an Actor's name on IMDB or Wikipedia will be closed.
If your question is not specifically on-topic for Movies & TV Stack Exchange, it may be on topic for another Stack Exchange site. If no site currently exists that will accept your question, you may commit to or propose a new site at Area51, the place where new Stack Exchange communities are democratically created.
For more help, see "What types of questions should I avoid asking?"